Building Permits

The City of Philomath issues building permits for construction activities within the city limits. The kinds of permits covered are structural, electrical, mechanical and plumbing. In addition, any development or construction activity within the floodplain, whether is requires a building permit or not, is required to obtain a Floodplain Development Permit. This includes fill, accessory structures and fences. This is a free permit. All permit applications are available here.

The City uses the State of Oregon ePermitting system with which licensed contractors can make online purchases of Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing permits that do not require a plan review. For additional information about ePermitting, please visit the State of Oregon's ePermitting website.

All permits that require plan review must submit TWO copies of the application in hard copy, either in person or to our mailing address. We are not currently set up for electronic review. (Additional copies may be required depending on the nature of the application.)

Payment types accepted: Cash or check. Credit card accepted on payments less than $500.00.


DEQ 1200-C Construction Stormwater Permit: All new lot development (including new single family dwellings) requires an approved DEQ 1200-C Stormwater Permit prior to issuance. This permit is applied for directly to DEQ by the applicant. Building permit plan review can be applied for simultaneously through the City while the DEQ 1200-C permit is being applied for. Questions regarding the application process and requirements should be directed to:

DEQ Western Region
165 East 7th Avenue, Suite 100
Eugene OR 97401
541-686-7930 or 1-800-844-8467


Building Permit Histories: Property owners, realtors and prospective buyers can now search permit histories back to 2002 by using the following link:
Oregon Accela Public Search. City staff is happy to assist you in learning to use this valuable search tool! For building permit histories prior to 2002, call (541) 929-6148.


Required Licenses: The state of Oregon requires that any individual or company performing electrical, HVAC, or plumbing work obtain the required licenses. The EPA requires that renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based pain in pre-1978 homes, childcare facilities, and schools be performed by an EPA Certified Renovator working for an EPA Certified Firm and that specific work practices be implemented to prevent lead contamination. More information is available at 1-800-424-LEAD (5323) or




Floodplain Resources City floodplain information services and other helpful floodplain resources
Floodplain Development Permit Application Free permit that must be submitted with all development or building activity within the flood plain.

Fence, Hedge and Wall Standards

Philomath Municipal Code Section 18.72 covers standards for fences, hedges and walls. The diagram is helpful for use in planning residential fences.

Commercial Tenant Improvement Process

This page is intended help business property owners and tenants navigate the building and planning requirements when making improvements or changes to their commercial/tenant space.

Oregon Building Codes Division

This is a link to the Oregon Building Codes Division, including access to online Oregon Specialty Codes, contractor licensing information, ready-build plans, and more.