Commercial Tenant Improvement Process

This page is intended help business property owners and tenants navigate the building and planning requirements when making improvements or changes to their commercial/tenant space.

Section 105 of the OSSC requires a building permit to be obtained when:

"Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, change the character or use of occupancy, or change the occupancy of a building or structure which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit."

Examples of Commercial Tenant Improvements include but are not limited to:

  • Change to existing floor plan to increase/decrease occupant seating
  • Alteration of customer areas/counters
  • Install hanging fixtures or racking
  • Change in use of building: day spa to retail space
  • Change in character of tenant: burger restaurant to ice cream shop

What is required for a Tenant Improvement Application?