Special Events in Philomath

The City of Philomath values events which bring people together through the celebration of the arts, sports, history, commerce, health and more. As a means of encouraging these gatherings, the City makes its streets and public right-of-way available to civic, private, and community groups to organize and sponsor activities that enhance the Philomath community.


What is a Special Event?

A Special Event Permit is required for activities/gatherings/events which do any of the following:

  • Involve a large group of people (compared to the usual occupancy of a site) and
  • Use City facilities or property (i.e., city buildings, parks, and parking lots) or
  • Impact or use City streets (including curb or parking lane), sidewalks, and public right-of-ways

Examples: Road race, bike race, walk, parade, festival, market, carnival, wedding, car show, concert, etc.


Permit Fees

The Special Event Application must be submitted at least 45 days before the event, or the application may not be accepted. The following permit fees may be added depending on your event activities:

  • Special Event Permit fee is $20
  • Broadcast Permit fee $20
  • Alcohol Permit fee $25


Parades and Other Street Closures

Philomath Municipal Code 10.10.080 states that parades or events utilizing the public right of way (including alleys, sidewalks, etc.) and consisting of 50 or more persons or 10 or more vehicles will require a Special Event Permit. Philomath Municipal Code 12.15.040 states that no person may occupy or encroach upon a public right-of-way without the permission of the City. This includes streets (including curb or parking lane), sidewalks, and other public rights-of-way.


Park Groups and Events

You park event may require a Special Event permit. If any of the following apply to your event you will need to submit an application. Circumstances which require you to submit a Special Event Permit application are:

  • Any event over 200 participants/attendees
  • Events which will impact more than one section of a park 
  • Events requesting both alcohol and broadcast permits, with over 100 participants/attendees

Philomath Municipal Code 12.10.070 states that all requests for reservations from large groups may require additional fees and restrictions, that the City Manager may set after review of the group’s request.


Alcohol Service and/or Consumption

The City has several pathways for approval of alcohol possession/consumption during events occurring on public property in Philomath. Note: Those found to be in possession of an alcoholic beverage upon or in a public place without a permit, will be cited under Philomath Municipal Code 9.10.060, section J. Violating this Municipal Code carries a fine of $1,250.00 dollars and up to 30 days in jail.

1. If your event is occurring on a park property and you want to provide or allow alcohol, a park reservation will be required. Visit www.ci.philomath.or.us/parks to make a reservation and apply for City alcohol use permit. If your event fits the criteria in the Park Groups and Events section, you will also need to fill out a Special Event Permit application.

3. On all City properties: The City will require a copy of your Oregon Liquor and Cannabis Commission (OLCC) permit if required for your event. You must determine if your event requires an OLCC permit. Visit OLCC Liquor Licensing for information. OLCC permit is required if:

  • Alcohol will be sold, or
  • Alcohol is available (but not being sold), and you are charging or accepting donations for admission, or where payment is required to attend the event. If you have questions about which form, you must call the OLCC directly on the Licensing Help Line at 503-872-5217.

To get Local Governing Body recommendation for your OLCC application, bring completed application with all supporting documentation to the Philomath Police Department at 1010 Applegate Street. 


Insurance Requirements

A certificate of liability insurance is required for all special events. The certificate must provide liability insurance coverage for an amount not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 aggregate. The Certificate must show the City of Philomath as an additional insured and provide 30 days’ notice of cancellation or material modification.

If alcohol will be provided, additional insurance coverage is required. Event host will provide Liquor Liability Insurance covering Bodily Injury and Property Damage arising from selling, serving or furnishing of any alcoholic beverage by the Host or Host’s employees, representatives, agents, or sub-contractors in the performance of the Rental Agreement. Coverage shall be a minimum of $1,000,000 per occurrence, and $2,000,000 aggregate and shall name the City of Philomath as an additional insured.

If you need assistance finding options for Special Event Insurance, contact your homeowner's policy company or you can view the City's insurance services provider flyer by clicking here

NOTE: A copy of the certificate(s) must be on file at least 30 days prior to the event, or the application/permit will be cancelled.